1. Supervisor and employee meet
* Discuss key responsibilities as derived from the employee's Position Description
* Set performance standards
2. Supervisor provides feedback and reinforcement through monitoring and coaching
* Positive feedback to reinforce satisfactory and/or improved performance.
* Supportive feedback which helps employee solve problems and develop their own decision-making skills.
* Constructive feedback which shows an employee a better way to do things.
* Consequential feedback that lets employee know what to expect - positive and, if necessary, negative consequences.
3. Supervisor schedules annual performance evaluation with employee in April or as appropriate for probationary employees
* Supervisor completes form, prepares for interview.
* Employee does self-appraisal, prepares for interview.
4. Appraisal Interview
* Performance analyzed
* Improvement plan discussed
* Employee's career goals discussed
* Form signed and distributed
5. Cycle Repeats